Micromine 2018 is the latest version of MICROMINE’s leading exploration and 3D mine design solution and provides explorers with an in-depth understanding of their project so prospective regions can be targeted more effectively, increasing the chance of a project’s success. Miners are provided easy-to-use modelling, estimation and design tools to simplify day-to-day production tasks.
Micromine 2018 allows users to capture, manage and interpret critical data, and is relevant to all stages of the mineral extraction process. Micromine 2018 has been built with the user in mind and includes a range of new features and enhancements that increase the overall usability and performance of the software.
"We are really excited about the new features and enhancements for Micromine 2018 and we feel these changes will greatly increase the overall usability of the software.”
“The goal has always been to make our client’s job easier, Micromine 2018 has the necessary tools to achieve this.”
Paul Hooykaas, Product Strategy Manager - Micromine
New Features and Improvements
- New licensing system, which works with or without a dongle. Includes the ability to temporarily borrow a network licence without a dongle or persistent network connection. Administrators can set up licences with different module combinations. Includes many new purchasing and leasing options. (In progress)
- Conversion of the Micromine user interface to Unicode, allowing extended characters and multiple character sets to be displayed at once. Option to use Unicode Text Format (UTF-8) for DATA and related files; ideal for multilingual workplaces. (In progress)
- Offline help is now divided into a separate download/installer for each language, keeping downloads small and the language relevant.
- Project Manager now supports inline editing of broken project paths.
- Improved workflow and user feedback when using a read-only form set database.
- New dialogue-based File | New and File | Modify tools, combining the capabilities of the old structure editor (replicate, increment, copy/paste) with new dialog options (undo/redo, sort, move up/down)
- Separate toolbar buttons and submenus for creating a file from a template, creating a new macro, and creating a new lookup table.
- New date, date/time, and colour field types in file definition.
- Automatic conversion of Excel’s 5-digit dates into normal dates on import.
- The Replicate Many function (CTRL+SHIFT+R) is now available in all dialogue grid lists.
- Right-click menu on a file field (in a form) now includes a Descriptive Stats option.
- File | Merge and Drillhole | Merge now automatically create a flag field if it does not exist.
- The File Editor Calculations button now supports both the classic and Expressions calculator.
- File | Fields | Generate now includes auto-fill and calculation options when setting up the form.
- New Auto Load (spatial) or Auto open (tabular) option for most importers.
- New File | Import | CAD and File | Export | CAD options avoid limitations of the generic CAD/GIS import/export when dealing with CAD formats, including wireframe meshes.
- Import Vector (CAD/GIS/GPS) now optionally imports colour and line-width attributes if present in the original file.
- Import Vector (CAD/GIS/GPS) now includes user-selectable attributes, and now allows attribute names to be mapped directly to standard fields.
- Some minor improvements for importing Vulcan block models.
- New option in Export | Excel to write to an existing Excel sheet.
- Improved Overwrite/Append messages for Export | Excel.
- Several small improvements for importing IREDES data.
- Ring Design export to IREDES format now supports Atlas Copco drilling rigs.
- Vizex CAD/GIS form is now the GIS
- New Vizex CAD form, with drag/drop support.
- Reorganised the Tools menu, along with project and system settings.
- Vizex Options are now applied per-project.
- New Visibility option in Layer Defaults allows unwanted Vizex Form types to be removed from the Vizex Forms tree.
- New ability to collapse a dialogue, providing access to Vizex without needing to close the dialogue beforehand.
Display and editing
- Inclusion of Centre for Exploration Targeting Perceptually Uniform Colour Maps in the palette list.
- New Properties menu in the Image Viewer now summarises important image metadata including bit depth, number of bands, origin, and pixel size.
- New Object Visibility function to Isolate the view to the selected object.
- Points can now be rotated in Vizex as per the Rotate String
- New String Reordering function to renumber joins and optionally sort strings by an attribute value.
- New tool to insert a point on a string where it intersects section plane.
User experience / interface
- Vizex Display Pane now allows repeated searches, starting from the last match.
- Vizex Forms may now be sorted by ID, name, or date.
- Quick Find Drillholes and Quick Find Wireframes now include a Zoom to Selection
- New Vizex Object Visibility tools to make unselected objects shadowed or invisible.
- New option to save a Saved View by right clicking on a layer or group in the Display Pane.
- Vizex Properties window now shows all collar attribute values when the user selects a drillhole collar or non-colour-coded drillhole trace.
- New Status Bar progress indicator when draping large images to show that Micromine is still loading image data.
- Windows | Geolink now displays options based on the active window.
- Ctrl+Seek tool now recognises polygons.
- Drag/drop of raster data now uses number of bands and pixel depth to choose between displaying as an image or as a grid surface.
- Vizex Point layer is now optimised for interactively displaying point clouds with scaled symbols, with vastly improved performance compared to Micromine 2016.1.
- Separate line type and line width options for hatch borders.
- Drillhole Interval Label header can now be oriented parallel to hole trace.
- Grid Surfaces and Block Models now include Auto draw style options.
- Points (vertices) within a string file can now be drawn using a different colour than the string.
- Section Tool now displays length, azimuth etc. in the status bar (as per the Measure Tool).
- New button for toggling additional grids.
- Grid spacing in additional grids may now be varied using expressions.
- Added new string smoothing methods to Strings | Tools | Smooth.
- Insert Points mode now works like other tools and, with updated snapping modes.
- Follow mode now allows follow from intersection point when digitising in snap to object mode.
- Selected points in a GIS layer may now be interactively copied/saved via Selection menu.
- String | Utilities | Flatten now includes options to create an output file, and for the Planes to be defined using a Section Control File.
- Split String tool now automatically splits strings at the ends of a partial selection.
- Many new Wireframe Draw Style options, including new Default Hatch and From Wireframe options, with control over hatch foreground, background, and fill for 2D slice and new 2D Silhouette option. New Advanced Hatch option provides even greater flexibility.
- New Change Hatch function writes 2D hatch attributes (slice and silhouette) directly to a wireframe.
- New Compare Wireframes tool records the offset distance for each vertex; ideal for identifying under- and over-break in as-built vs. designed mine headings.
- New Floor/Roof to Solid function automates the creation of solids from sidewalls and roof points.
- New tool to interactively create a new wireframe set from a Vizex wireframe selection.
- Wireframe Manager and Wireframe Attribute Manager now include a recent location list in the “look in” folder, simplifying the selection of wireframes from different path locations.
- Wireframe Manager now has an option to include subfolders.
- Wireframe | Operations | Slice now uses the same output naming options as in Wireframe | Utilities | Separate.
- Vizex Properties window now reports cumulative volume when multiple wireframes are selected.
- Centreline to Solid: New option for the Arch height (h0) parameter to get value from a field in the Input file.
- Centreline to Solid function now includes Rounded Rectangle as a profile option.
- Improved the quality of tunnel endings in Sidewall to Solid.
- Added several new features and enhancements to DTM | Cut and Fill Volume, including auto loading the cut and fill solids.
- Select Triangles by Construction String now works using only one string, always selecting the triangles on both sides.
- Sidewalls to solid now supports a user defined profile shape.
- Boosted performance of DTM | Create Surface by combining building and clipping into one step.
- Wireframe sets may now be sorted at loading time, based on a user-defined attribute.
- A colour set may now be applied to Wireframe Labels.
- Surface area and volume are now searchable attributes in the Wireframe Manager.
- Wireframe | Report | Grade Tonnage now creates the density attribute if it does not exist.
- Improved Wireframe | Utilities | Separate to limit the minimum volume of wireframes identified.
- Improved the workflow for selecting an input wireframe Type and Name.
- Improved the quality of wireframes created by Block Model Outer Shell and Block Model Grade Shells to create a smoothed shell that accounts for sub-blocks.
- Pit design now includes an Optimised Shell option, automatically adjusting the constructed pit to match the optimised shell while maintaining pit slope parameters.
- Improved Waste Modeller Error Messages.
- Added ability to Copy/Paste an existing material bin in material set.
- Made the Cutting Profile optional in Create Mining Blocks.
- In Wireframe | Report | Grade Tonnage | Material Set, a field name selection list is now presented when “binding” to a grade field.
- Density in a Material Set can now be calculated based on a field in the block model.
- Material Set right click menu now includes a View option.
- When closing the Material Set attribute definition form, the form name is now posted to the response field of the main form.
- When a Material Set is displayed (or edited, created), the set name is displayed in the title.
- Several improvements to the layout and behaviour of the Material Hierarchy window.
- Improved Automatic Pit Realign tool to be more flexible and easier to use.
- Road Design: Added output road strings that display cut/fill values for the left and right edges of the road, with an auto load check box.
- New dedicated Vizex CAD layer, with improved support for labels, polygon meshes and 3D mesh entities.
- New File | Import | CAD function imports points, lines, and meshes. Supports AutoCAD and Microstation formats.
- New File | Export | CAD function exports strings to AutoCAD and Microstation formats.
- New CAD Cursor displays multiple cursor types with different scaling options (percentage of screen, real-world units). Advanced snapping mode allows tangential snapping to circumference of circular cursor, permitting the application of a visual buffer during digitising/design. Cursor may optionally be displayed in all windows.
- New Export Drillhole Database option exports an entire drillhole database to an Excel file comprising multiple tabs (per file), or as separate files in Excel or CSV format.
- New Audit Drillhole Database option summarises the files and fields that comprise a drillhole database.
- Drillhole validation errors are now prefixed with “Warning”, “Error”, and “Critical” to indicate the severity of the errors.
- Drillhole databases are now more forgiving of invalid data, with options to ignore specific drillhole files.
- Some compositing tools now support density-weighted averaging.
- GKZ Compositing now treats missing intervals as hard breaks.
- Several labelling improvements in GKZ compositing.
- Televiewer (Drillhole Imaging) now includes options for alternative orientation methods.
- Drillhole Graph functions now include a moving average option, ideal for noisy downhole geophysical data.
- Generate Drillhole Pattern now includes an option for (collar) Z values to be defined from a DTM.
- Drillhole | Merge now automatically creates new merge fields when if they don’t exist.
- When refreshing a drillhole database, a new option allows only the Trace (Collar and Survey) files to be refreshed.
- The height of an interval in a text column can now be extended if it less than the font height.
- Drillhole Log now supports synchronised scrolling whenever multiple logs are displayed side-by-side.
- Use right and left arrow keys to move to Next and Previous hole in the log.
- Drillhole Log now supports Selection Syncing.
- New substitutions have been created for drillhole log and plotting.
- New option to Go to Hole by Name.
- Drillhole log now includes an Imaging column type for displaying flat and cylindrically wrapped (Televiewer) images.
- A new right-click shortcut makes it easier to save a drillhole log intersection.
- New animation option displays underground tunnels and stopes as they are mined.
- Histogram: new option to apply colours to bell curves and histogram bars once the data has been decomposed and a colour set created.
- Variogram Map and Chart semi-variogram: New Auto calculate automates the selection of initial values for displaying a variogram map or variogram chart.
- Chart semi-variogram: new Autofit Model automates the initial estimate of nugget, ranges, and partial sills.
- Chart semi-variogram: new Measure Distance tool permits the calculation of distances based on proportions of the range or total sill; ideal for defining search ellipsoid radii.
- Statistical functions and charts now support expressions as input.
- Q-Q plot now has an option to disable the line connecting the quantiles.
3D Block Models
- Search Ellipsoid: new tool to visually adjust the position, orientation, size, and anisotropy of the Vizex search ellipsoid.
- New tool to visually adjust the extents of a block model. Automatically aligns extents to Restriction wireframe (where present), or to the extents of a nominated wireframe or DATA file.
- Implicit modelling structural trend (see below) may now be incorporated within a kriging interpolation.
Seam Block Models
- New Modelling | Seam Block Model | Intersect with Solid function to trim an SBM to a solid.
- New Modelling | Seam Block Model | Convert to Grid function that creates a grid surface for each unique value in the material field. Output may be any combination of roof, floor, midpoint, thickness, or user attribute field.
- Block Model Report: reporting cutoffs are no longer compulsory.
- Added an option to remove volumes smaller than a user defined value for block model grade shells.
- Rearranged fields in Create a Block Model Report to better suit industry requirements.
- Added volume weighted average to Interactive Block Visibility.
- Single seam SBM can now be created using roof or floor elevation grids.
- Seam block model may now be used as input for Vizex Contour.
- Substantially upgraded Trend Model is more accurate and geometrically robust, and now supports multiple trends with decay.
- Lithology modelling now includes an option to use indicators instead of distance.
- Vizex Contour layer can now contour a 3D rotated MM Grid file.
- Grid | Convert to MM File now includes options for treating Z as an attribute, and formatting as a block model.
- Grid | Clip now includes Auto load option.
- Grid Contouring is now more robust and more efficient than before.
- File | Image | Convert and File | Image | Compress now include an Auto-load option.
- Image bands are listed by name when the names are defined in the file.
- Added Auto load for pit shells created in Pit Optimisation/Optimise.
- Added Total Capital Cost field to Optimiser Output Report.
- Surface blasthole labelling now allows customised collar and toe labels.
- Improved the firing sequence order for row and diagonal patterns.
- Create Firing Sequence form now indicates units for delay and increment.
- Added an option to number surface blastholes by row.
- Added a Preview button to the Generate Single Drillhole dialog for consistency with the Generate Fan dialog.
- Improved Drillhole Fan angle behaviour so that the start and end angles always honour the measurement option.
- New option to label collars for blastholes in a fan.
- Updated ring design toe spacing algorithm to use published methods.
- Added a new charging method based on published methods, with ability to define initiator hole.
- New options for Replicate ring along drive to measure ring spacing as the distance along rive or actual distance between rings.
- Added a function to automatically generate ring boundary string from a wireframe solid.
- When multiple annotations of the same type are selected, common properties are now editable in the Properties window
- Added text label alignment options for dimensional annotations.
- Lithology modelling now includes an option to use indicators instead of distance.